During the annual meeting of January, 1968, the Second National Bank announced the gift to the Society of a one-third interest in the Marfield Bank Building at 133-135 West Main Street. It is the last remaining building which stood on the original circle. Remaining interests in the building were deeded to the Society at periodic intervals.
The bank was built in 1848 by Samuel Marfield, who came from Baltimore, MD in 1839. First called “The People’s Bank,” it was later called “Marfield’s Bank.” Built before the southwest quarter of the Circle was squared, the rear addition still conforms to the tapering lot. The Marfields operated the bank until 1877.
The Second National Bank occupied the building until April 4,1964, when it moved to a new location.